1934 - 1956
Edwin C. Palmer and Mrs. Palmer (Margaretta) brought new life to the church, which showed gradual growth during their twenty-two year stay. There were monthly church suppers, regular work parties during which extensive repairs, renovation, and decorating were carried out by the church members. A Student Round Table met every Sunday night. Mr. Palmer was president of the Kalamazoo Council of Social Agencies, represented the Ministerial Alliance on the Central Trades Labor Council, served on the city recreation council, conducted discussion at Meadville Theological Seminary, and led assemblies at Lake Geneva.
He began to set the type and print the Sunday programs in 1943. Community groups were allowed to hold meetings in the building rent-free. In 1956 the 100th anniversary of the church was celebrated; there were 112 children from 51 families enrolled in seven classes in Sunday School with a paid Religious Education Director. A land purchase fund was established, and Mr. Palmer spoke of retirement. He died suddenly December 26 of that year.