Children Leading the Way to a Better World
I write this shortly after global climate strikes took place around the world. I felt encouraged by the level of involvement of people both in Kalamazoo as well as across the globe. Contemplating the enormity of climate change can be terrifying for adults much less for kids.
I so appreciate the level of leadership and involvement of young people who are leading the way in this movement. That so many children and youth feel empowered to march, speak and work for climate justice is fantastic.
With youth such as Sweden’s Greta Thunberg and Canada’s Autumn Peltier leading the way, more kids can feel empowered to realize the impact they can have.
It was inspiring to have our very own Lexi and Arianna Webb speak from the stage at the Kalamazoo Climate Strike event.
As you have conversations with your kids and youth about so many of the challenges and injustices that exist in the world today, it may be encouraging for them to witness the actions kids are taking to stand up for what they believe. Here are some video links of inspiring kids.
- Greta Thunberg’s speech at UN Climate Action Summit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYxt0BeTrT8
- Interview with Autumn Peltier, Anishinabe Water Advocate https://truecallingmedia.com/video/water-advocate-autumn-peltier/
- At just seven-years-old, Bana Alabed, now 10, became well known for documenting her experience of the siege of Aleppo in Syria through Twitter. With the help of her mother, Bana told of the suffering for people inside and outside of Syria and gave a face to the everyday reality of life in Aleppo. Her Twitter account urged leaders to do more for the millions of children stuck in the middle of conflict. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riGTutH-Skg
RE Program Offerings
We have a full roster of classes and opportunities for religious growth and connection making this year.
- Nursery – New childcare providers joining Nich in the nursery this year are Ellerie and Maggie who are students at WMU with much childcare experience.
- K – 6th grades – Unitarian Universalist Principles and Values
- 7/8th – Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education 10:45am-12:15pm on Sundays
- 9/10th – Coming of Age Program
- 11/12th – Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education 10:45am – 12:15pm on Sundays
- Adults – New Chalice Circles are forming now If you are looking for ways to connect with others in meaningful ways at People’s, these small group circles are ideal. More info at peopleschurch.net. Sign up on the table in the foyer.
Upcoming Retreats and Conferences
- Mystic Lake Middle School UU Retreat – for 6-8th graders Oct. 11-13 Registration and more info at peopleschurch.net
- CONtagious – High School UU Youth Conference Oct. 18-20 Muncie, IN
- CONtribUUtion – 7 – 12th Grade youth Conference Nov. 1-3 Brighton, MI
- Young Adults – Join the young adult con planning team. Help plan and implement the regional young adult UU conference to be held Jan 17-19, 2020. Let Diane Melvin know if you are interested.
Follow “The Conscious Kid” on Facebook for helpful tips and resources to increase awareness. The Conscious Kid is an organization dedicated to reducing bias and promoting positive identity development in youth. They partner with organizations to promote access to children’s books centering underrepresented and oppressed groups.