Communities in Schools of Kalamazoo is organized to bring together hundreds of volunteers and local organizations to meet student needs at school–before, during or after class, working to solve problems that interfere with learning. The Social Justice Coordinating Committee supports and works with this organization. They have a need for volunteers with certain skills,
- General office help
- An individual skilled in video recording
- Spanish tutors to assist high school students
- Anyone interested in starting a walking club at an elementary site
- School beautification projects
- Lunchtime support at recess/during recess time
- Guys interested in participating in a Guys Read program
- Someone to start a Science Club (natural science) at a middle school
If you can help with any of these needs, please contact Kaitlin Martin at Communities in Schools of Kalamazoo.
On October 3, fourteen of People’s people attended the ISAAC Convocation at First Congregational Church. After song and presentations in the sanctuary, participants broke into groups with interest in Transportation, Housing, Education and Youth Violence to receive updates on progress in these areas and idea sharing for on-going work. Everyone left with positive encouragement about our impact on these important issues.
Loaves and Fishes
Loaves and Fishes need for November: canned vegetables. The truck will be out front of church on November 17 and again the 24th to collect food donations. We suggest watching the ads for specials; put items for the drive on your shopping list; if you have kids, let them find the items on your list; keep Loaves and Fishes goods in separate bags and leave them in your vehicle; on November 17, transfer food to the Loaves & Fishes truck. If you forget on the 17th, bring them the next week.