I’ve chosen the title STT (stuff-that’s-true) and STM (stuff-that-matters) to represent two focal points of our work at People’s Church this year. STT is information. STM may include information, but it also engages contradictions, ambiguities, the nuances of relationships, and the “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune”. Both STT and STM are required to discern and interpret complex landscapes, and to navigate through them with skill and adroitness. That’s our goal this year.
A brief note on Sunday services. After presenting six sermons I am still the new kid in town, and continue to seek advice insofar as what works well. I have introduced intentional planning and scheduling in the service-planning process, so as to minimize last-minute scrambling. My current planning calendar looks like this:
- Circulate rough-draft Order of Service to all service participants.
- Send all audio-visual materials to A/V team.
- Prepare final draft Order of Service. Send out “Service Leaders’ Guide”.
- Confer with lay leader: Introductory remarks, readings, and special items.
Fridays, 9:00 am
- Print final Orders of Service
- Meet with A/V team at 10:00 a.m., verify that A/V materials are OK.
- Meet with all service participants from 10:15 to 10:25 for logistics review.
- Greet arriving congregants from 10:25 to 10:40.
- All service participants are seated by 10:40.
- Begin the service promptly at 10:45, with the Music for Gathering.
Despite such planning there will be occasional surprises. I thank you for continuing to be patient and offer encouragement as we, together, plan and present meaningful Sunday services.
Moving ahead, I will be leading three workshop series this fall, all of which pertain to the work of congregational development during ministry-transitions. These series are announced here. I encourage you to attend, according to your interests and availability.
Best wishes. See you in church.
Rev. Dave Johnson, Interim Minister, People’s Church of Kalamazoo, 2014-2015
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org cell phone: 269-330-8495